FULL-CYCLE ACCOUNTANT (full-time, hybrid)
The Canadian Animal Task Force (CATF) is a dynamic grassroots, volunteer-driven, registered charity providing animal care programs and services for companion animals. Our Vision Statement is “Humans and companion animals live in harmony in communities where compassion, respect, and kindness guide their actions.” By assisting with community safety and improving the health and well-being of animals, we are helping people, helping animals. Founded in Calgary, Alberta in 2007, CATF operates with a small team of paid staff and relies heavily on a larger network of dedicated volunteers to deliver our animal welfare programs. Our volunteer team of licensed veterinarians, veterinary technologists, and other public volunteers provide compassionate and exemplary care and support. We invite you to learn more about what we do and the people we serve. Visit our website at www.cataskforce.org.
To fulfill our Vision, we need the best people doing their best work. If this sounds like you, then we’d love to chat!
Compensation: $60,000+ per annum, dependent on experience
Days of operation: Monday to Friday
Closing date: This posting will remain open until a suitable candidate has been hired
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Accountant will ensure all accounting entries and transactions are accurate and completed in a timely manner, improve financial processes and procedures, and strengthen internal controls.
More specifically, the scope of your responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Full cycle accounting functions (GL, A/R, and A/P) including recording of transactions, preparation of annual audit working papers (bank reconciliations, capital continuity, year-end adjusting entries, tracking of restricted donations/grants and related CRA registered charity accounting schedules), year-end financial statements and note disclosure
- Process payroll and benefits as well as maintain employee vacation and time off in lieu files
- Fulfill all reporting obligations for government (T3010s, T4s, T4As, subsidies, etc.)
- AGLC applications and reports (i.e. casinos, draws, etc.), manage transfers between general and casino accounts
- Manage GST reporting
- Issue tax receipts
- Apply for City of Calgary Property and Business Tax Exemption
- Prepare and present internal financial reports (monthly financials, annual budget, monthly forecast with variance analysis and business plans as needed) to Executive Director and Board of Directors
- Proactively participate in risk management
- Manage bank accounts, investments, cash flow, and credit card reconciliations
To qualify, you will need at least the following:
- 2+ years of financial experience
- 1+ years of experience using QuickBooks
- Canadian payroll certification and/or 1+ years of payroll processing including benefits
- Proficient with Google Workspace and Microsoft Office
- Exceptional attention to detail and ability to maintain accurate and timely records
- Strong analytical skills and a questioning mind
- Motivation, focus, and organization skills to plan and manage multiple processes
- Kindness, patience, and flexibility to self-manage and work with change in a positive manner
- Solid adherence to confidentiality
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to build positive rapport with our stakeholders, employees, and volunteers
Although not required, we consider the following to be valuable assets:
- Experience with Dext software
- Financial experience in the CRA charitable sector
- Chartered Professional Accountant designation
- A background in the animal welfare sector
- Experience with grant applications
We provide a workplace environment that fosters creativity and innovation. We offer competitive rates, flexible schedules, benefits, challenging projects, and a dynamic and friendly work environment. We are looking for someone to fit into the current team with a professional, cheerful, take-charge/can-do attitude. Here’s some information on what else you can expect in the role and as a CATF team member:
- 100% employer-paid group benefits after three months
- Daily start time flexibility outside of the standard 8a – 4p workday
- 3 weeks of paid vacation
- Up to 12 general holidays (stats)
- Five paid annual flex days for medical, personal, and family responsibility leaves
- Education and professional development sponsorship or cost share
- Discounted pet food and supplies
- Individual gratitude and recognition rewards, team events and holiday celebrations
- Based on the nature of this position, the successful candidate will work a hybrid model to allow connecting in person and remotely, building upon the culture that makes CATF such a great place to work
Imagine working for an organization that values diversity and inclusivity, and where everyone collaborates for each other’s success. If you want to join a team of community leaders passionate in making an impact, apply now! Note that there is a high exposure to pet dander and hair in the working environment.
How to Apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply in confidence. Applications for this position will be accepted on an ongoing basis until a suitable candidate has been hired. Submit your cover letter and resume to both firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com. Your cover letter should detail how you are the right person for the job. When submitting your email, please use “Accountant” as the subject line.
We thank all applicants for their interest but advise that only those under consideration will be contacted.
CATF is an equal opportunity employer and employs personnel without regard to race, colour, ancestry, place of origin, religious beliefs, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, physical disability, mental disability, marital status, family status, source of income, and sexual orientation.